Our business world has been through some tumultuous times: Recessions, financial meltdowns, the massive disruption of technology, natural disasters, nations defaulting on their debt, the Arab Spring, the Occupy Movement and much more.
For every catastrophe and massive shift emerge new breakthroughs and advances. During these past few years, we’ve also seen some of the most interesting companies flourish and grow Apple, Facebook, Lululemon, Amazon, Twitter and more, we’ve seen medical advances at an unprecedented pace and the introduction of new technologies that will forever change our future. In short, this is a time of flux … uncertainty. This makes it hard to chart a course — let alone pull together a five-year plan.Have you taken a look at your investment portfolio recently? Do you honestly think that there is a reliable long view out there? It is with this sense of pandemonium that Fast Company has dubbed us — all of us — Generation Flux.
“To thrive in this climate requires a whole new approach,” states the magazine’s article, This Is Generation Flux: Meet The Pioneers Of The New And Chaotic Frontier Of Business. “ … some people will thrive.They are the members of Generation Flux. This is less a demographic designation than a psychographic one: What defines GenFlux is a mindset that embraces instability, that tolerates — and even enjoys — recalibrating careers, business models, and assumptions. Not everyone will join Generation Flux, but to be successful, businesses and individuals will have to work at it. This is no simple task. The vast bulk of our institutions — educational, corporate, political — are not built for flux. Few traditional career tactics train us for an era where the most important skill is the ability to acquire new skills.”
Are you freaked out yet?
- The Start-Up Of You (twistimage.com)
- What Is Generation Flux?: Kate Brodock Of Girls In Tech (fastcompany.com)
- The Velocity of Change (forbes.com)
- Generation Flux (avantlive.wordpress.com)
- Generation Flux And Women Leaders (entrepremusings.com)
- Generation Flux to Generation Chaos (4ceo.wordpress.com)
- Generation Flux (jenx67.com)
- Need-To-Know: Generation Flux, Start-Up of You, Technology Heartbreak (the99percent.com)
- Are We Preparing Students for Generation Flux? (usergeneratededucation.wordpress.com)